Sir Alex Ferguson retires as Manchester United manager after 27 years

09:31 0 Comments A+ a-

Sir Alex Ferguson will retire as
Manchester United manager at the end of
the season in the 27th year of a tenure
that has made him the most successful in
British football.
While he will become a United director
and ambassador, the executive are now
charged with having to appoint the
successor to a man who has won 13
league titles, two Champions Leagues,
the Cup Winners' Cup, five FA Cups and
four League Cups. In February, Ed
Woodward, the incoming chief executive,
said there was plan in place for when the
Scot did step down.
Regarding his decision, Ferguson said:
"The decision to retire is one that I have
thought a great deal about and one that I
have not taken lightly. It is the right
time. It was important to me to leave an
organisation in the strongest possible
shape and I believe I have done so. The
quality of this league winning squad, and
the balance of ages within it, bodes well
for continued success at the highest level
whilst the structure of the youth set-up
will ensure that the long- term future of
the club remains a bright one.
"Our training facilities are amongst the
finest in global sport and our home Old
Trafford is rightfully regarded as one of
the leading venues in the world. Going
forward, I am delighted to take on the
roles of both director and ambassador for
the club. With these activities, along with
my many other interests, I am looking
forward to the future. I must pay tribute
to my family, their love and support has
been essential. My wife Cathy has been
the key figure throughout my career,
providing a bedrock of both stability and
encouragement. Words are not enough to
express what this has meant to me.
"As for my players and staff, past and
present, I would like to thank them all for
a staggering level of professional conduct
and dedication that has helped to deliver
so many memorable triumphs. Without
their contribution the history of this great
club would not be as rich. In my early
years, the backing of the board, and Sir
Bobby Charlton in particular, gave me the
confidence and time to build a football
club, rather than just a football team.
"Over the past decade, the Glazer family
have provided me with the platform to
manage Manchester United to the best of
my ability and I have been extremely
fortunate to have worked with a talented
and trustworthy chief executive in David
Gill. I am truly grateful to all of them.
"To the fans, thank you. The support you
have provided over the years has been
truly humbling. It has been an honour
and an enormous privilege to have had
the opportunity to lead your club and I
have treasured my time as manager of
Manchester United."
The sudden nature of Ferguson's
departure is in keeping with how the Scot
stated he would leave the post after he
trailed a first retirement during the
2001/2 season before performing a U-
turn.
It is understood he gathered the players
in the first team changing room shortly
after they arrived for training at
Carrington on Wednesday morning. In an
emotional speech he announced he was
to step down. He then took his backroom
staff aside before finally addressing the
rest of the staff in the canteen.
Any successor to the Scot would be
required by the club to have extended
experience of managing in the Champions
League, as well as expertise in handling a
large budget and squad. These criteria
would appear to rule out David Moyes,
the Everton manager, with at least one
senior executive unsure about his
candidacy, despite Ferguson being an
admirer – though earlier in the week
bookmakers slashed the odds on him
joining United, possibly as member of the
backroom staff, this summer.
Other managers who may be of interest
to United would include Real Madrid's
José Mourinho, though he appears
favourite to take over at Chelsea, Jurgen
Klopp, whose Borussia Dortmund team
are in the Champions League final, and
Malaga's Manuel Pellegrini.
Ferguson will be a strong voice in any
replacement for him and whether he
would endorse Mourhino is unclear.
When Charlton, a United director and one
of those instrumental in bringing Ferguson
to the club from Aberdeen in 1986, was
asked last year if the Scot admired the
Portuguese, he said: "He doesn't like him
too much, though."
It is thought that Mourinho's histrionics
and the temporary nature of his career in
which he has consistently moved around
clubs is not considered desirable by
United. However, he has claimed league
titles in Portugal, England, Italy and Spain
and has twice won the Champions League
– the same count as Ferguson.
While United will be keen to replace
Ferguson as soon as possible, the club will
not be rushed with the ideal scenario
being that the next manager should be
appointed before the three week
summer tour to Australia, Japan and the
Far East in early July.
Joel Glazer, joint chairman of the
Manchester United board, said: "Alex has
proven time and time again what a
fantastic manager he is but he's also a
wonderful person. His determination to
succeed and dedication to the club have
been truly remarkable. I will always
cherish the wonderful memories he has
given us, like that magical night in
Moscow.
Avie Glazer, his brother, said: "I am
delighted to announce that Alex has
agreed to stay with the club as a director.
His contributions to Manchester United
over the last 26 years have been
extraordinary and, like all United fans, I
want him to be a part of its future."
David Gill the outgoing chief exectutive,
said: "I've had the tremendous pleasure
of working very closely with Alex for 16
unforgettable years – through the treble,
the double, countless trophy wins and
numerous signings.
"We knew that his retirement would
come one day and we both have been
planning for it by ensuring the quality of
the squad and club structures are in first
class condition.
"Alex's vision, energy and ability have
built teams – both on and off the pitch –
that his successor can count on as among
the best and most loyal in world sport.
"The way he cares for this club, his staff
and for the football family in general is
something that I admire. It is a side to
him that is often hidden from public view
but it is something that I have been
privileged to witness in the last 16 years.
"What he has done for this club and for
the game in general will never be
forgotten. It has been the greatest
experience of my working life being
alongside Alex and a great honour to be
able to call him a friend."
First-team coach Rene Meulensteen
revealed how Ferguson broke the news
to his backroom staff on Wednesday
morning. "(I found out) this morning
when I came to the club," he said on Sky
Sports News. "He called us into his office
and he said what decision he took. It's
always been on the cards - there's
speculation every season. I think the
manager kept his cards close to his chest.
I think he felt the time was right now and
he made a decision.
"He's obviously a man who thinks very,
very well so I'm sure he's taken a lot of
thought into making this decision. I wish
him well. He's been fantastic for this club
and I hope all the fans give whoever's
going to come in the same support that
he gets."